Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

-25

i remember making doughnuts.
i am not sure how we got the job but for several weeks adam and myself made and sold doughnuts in petticoat lane market.
it paid well, but it was hard and dull work. fortunately it never turned me off doughnuts (oh what hell would that be to live a life without doughnuts….)
one bank holiday we did a weekend working some event or another. it meant we slept in the van – almost like being rock stars. i don’t believe we got much sleep, as it was not comfortable. at one point i needed a late night leak – opened the door to piss and nearly had my todger bitten off by a large guard dog, a bit of speed on my part and my family jewels were saved.
when that weekend was over we rushed into the west end to spend some of the hard earned money. we went into our price and bought records (you remember those vinyl things that used to be made) one of the ones i got was led zeppelin’s “in through the out door”. it remains one of my favourites.
i think that was the last time i made doughnuts and it was the last time i worked until i got a summer job when i started college.
but that is a story for another night.

3 comments:

Hobbit's Journal said...

You shall be known as the Hairy Doughnut, the Dave Lee Travis of the comic distribution world.

ems said...

I'm enjoying these memories, Pat. I can't imagine you making doughnuts though!

pat said...

as long as we sugared it then that mouse was good to be sold...