Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

want

i have been meaning (for a loooong time now) to write something about collecting. some of the readers of this know about the collecting bug, some of the readers of this blog will deny that they are addicted to collecting (hi paul) and some have kicked the habit for a bit but have come back to collecting (hi richard).

me i am hooked i am a collector and i know i can't shake that particular monkey from my back.

now i am a fan of star wars, i have seen all the movies and i have enjoyed them all. i have never really gotten into collecting star wars stuff, even though i did have 3 things that were rare and probably would be worth a lot of money now (if i still had them - for the interested they were a star wars t-shirt that was given to the crew of the first movie that used a ralph mcquarrie image that never made it to the movie, some stickers with the same image and a signed page of the shooting scrip. ah the joys of having a dad who had a silver tongue, especially when it had been loosened with booze, which was pretty much every day of the last 20 years of his life!)
i have always been fascinated by lego. this is probably due to the fact i never had it when i was a kid. (i did discover that when faced with lego bricks the best i could make was something that was akin to a surreal sculpture, though if i was committed enough to my explanation then it was a spaceship in the eyes of the kid i was babysitting...)
lego obviously learnt that some people want lego but can't actually build anything with it. so the answer is make it like jigsaw - here is something neat and here are the right number of bits and here are the plans. you can build it. free the da vinci, free the isambard kingdom brunel within.
even better you get people hooked - ooh look i have built something. lego cunningly have created system toys: once you have built one - you have to get more and more and more.
look at it spiralling out of control.

the only two pieces of lego i own are both star wars craft.
they were presents.

the only sane reasons i have for not getting anymore are:
1] even with plans i can never build these things.
2] i just know i will loose the pieces.

that doesn't mean to say i haven't been tempted.

then i see this
it stands 25 inches high, 19 inches wide has 3417 pieces and when it is all put together it build the death star ii from star wars return of the jedi.

am i tempted?
hell yeah.
could i build it?
hell no.
would i loose pieces?
hell yeah.

how much does it cost? it's a mere snip at £249.00.
am i still tempted?
hell yeah.

with luck i will ride this flush of collectormania out of my system before i do something very very stupid.
but if you don't hear from me for awhile - you'll know what has happened i am building the death star.

4 comments:

MissMinxtress said...

I am not a collector as such, but I do own several lara Croft models and almost lifesize cardboard cutouts!
These were all presents (ok one of the cutouts I got myself!).
I don't want to get addicted to this but I do love my models, and cutouts, and posters and...! And do I want more? Yes of course I do. I've seen one I really want but it is silly money and as the rest of my stuff cost me nothing I can't justify it.
As for your Death Star, I just had a look and although the pic probably doesn't do it justice, it looks cool, and it comes with an Imperial Star Destroyer! Is it worth the money? I'd say it is way overpriced, but if it gives you pleasure, why the hell not!

pat said...

fortunately i realise that i can't afford it and the desire will soon pass.
my current collecting fads are the new series of 1:43 scale corgi batmobiles (just got the 1930s red roadster and the very cool 1960s catmobile - that catwoman drove around in!)
then there is the marvel collector figurines. so necessary for a comic geek like me.

but now i have seen my latest annoymous comment i want to buy private roads. sign me up now!

Hobbit's Journal said...

You're a bit kinky about your lego aren't you?!

pat said...

kinky about a lot of things.

the best lego thing i ever saw was in an art gallery. it was a version of the tate britain galleries being used for the turner price. with mock ups of varios of the yba iconic pieces in it.
wonderful.