Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2005

history

while out walking the other day, i decided to wander down cheshire street. way back when i used to play in this street. to be honest i can't remember much about it.
my parents ran a pub called the carpenters arms. i can remember the dray horses, i can remember the old wooden barrels, and i can remember the smell of beery cellars and of horse shit.

so imagine my dismay when ambling along cheshire street in the excited expectation of a good old coffee i see the old pub is shuttered up.
blimey i think to myself to think that the area has gotten so rough they have shutters on the pubs. then it dawned on me. the carpenter’s arms is no longer a working pub. it is closed. empty. it might be knocked down; it might be turned into yuppie flats. it is no more.

i felt incredibly sad. another tie to my past has gone. another link to my parents has disappeared. some of my personal history is going to go with that pub.
it made me feel very old.





me standing outside my old man's old pub. he wanted me to go into the trade, i didn't. i am not sure he ever forgave me that, mind you mum never got over the fact that i never became a priest.



(still feel a bit lost by the whole thing. silly really but there you go.)

3 comments:

Hobbit's Journal said...

You look like aqua-lung, the tramp from the jethro tull song stood there!

seriously though, a nice post and i felt sad reading it, its amazing how we hold on to places in our mind.

horse and carts though? jeez man how old are you !

ems said...

Not silly - things like that are sad. Hope it won't be yuppy flats.

Who took the photo of you?

pat said...

he who doens't want to be named (oh that would be joel) took the photo.

jay the brewery was around the corner from were the pub was (another 3 also along the same road) so it was dray horses and carts. eco friendly and something for the roses.

this was a litle before the famous steptoe and son comedy show.