Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

review

tonight’s review is a short one, and it is also written at a time when i should be at a gig, so who knows what i am going to review tomorrow.

it is another graphic novel (easy and fun to read).
it comes from a little company called ait/planetlar who are probably most famous for the astronauts in trouble series (it’s where the a i t comes from) and the various brian wood books they have done.
to be honest when i first set eyes on smoke and guns i was less than impressed by the cover, but the insides were a gorgeous fun filled treat of a graphic novel.
writer kirsten bladock and artist fabio moon tell the tale of scarlet a cigarette girl who is quick to break the rule and quicker to pull the trigger. in her sexy high heels she walks the walk, is as tough as nails and as sexy as you can be.

a glorious mix of noir, action and sassy comedy. the writing is sharp and crisp; the artwork is clean with a clear and consistent style that owes much too frank miller, will eisner and many on the continent.
with lines such as “nobody shoots my shoes..” “what kind of retard looks a girl in the room with the guns?” how can you not like it.
the action is fast and furious if it were a movie it would be matrix meets john woo.
it’s an easy read, the art flows carrying the story forward (a simple concept in the world of graphic novels you would think – you would be wrong as some artists lost the plot in their overly complex “look at me ma” style over design).

it won’t win awards, and sadly it probably won’t get read by that many people.
but i tell you smoke and guns is a rare old treat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Call me a crazy blog fanatic, I don't care. I love to reveiw other people's blogs! I look through about 50 every day, and I see some that just make me laugh. That's how I stumbled accross your blog. I just wanted to leave you a comment to let you know I stopped by. Your blog is very nice! Keep it up.

If you want to repay the visit, visit my new website for Work From Home Moms information. I've compiled a lot of information for Work From Home Moms seekers. I hope you'll find the FREE information on my site useful. :-)

I also welcome Reciprocal Links, so be sure to stop by and add your link. It could help you get even more visitors to your blog!
_____________________
I'm also the webmaster for:
Best Weight Loss Pill
Diseases Index
FREE Tutorial Videos
Submit Your Articles
Traffic Swarm