Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

-11

i remember doughnuts.
i have a sweet tooth. i blame my dad.
when it comes to teeth my dad and i were the perfect example of the american stereotype of british bad dental care. neither of us had good teeth.
i have a distinct memory of him at the dentist – back when dentists seemed to be in people’s front room and people could smoke anywhere and everywhere: and did. the dental nurse popped into the waiting room and told my dad that when he had finished his fag the dentist would see him. at which point my dad pulled out his pack of senior service and lit up several more fags. i think it was the first time i saw my dad scared. it might also be at the root of my own fear of dentists.
at this point we were living in northolt. dad was working nights. mum was working mornings and in the summer holidays i would be in the front room reading whatever book i was engrossed in before going out to meet up with some mates.
dad would come in. tea would be made. he would sit at the table. open his copy of the daily express, back when it was a broadsheet, in order to do the crossword. dad was very good at crosswords, loved the cryptic ones. mum settled for doing the basic crossword in the sun or the mirror. me? i have never finished a crossword.
before he started on the crossword he would pass over the doughnuts. he would keep a couple i would have the rest. he would challenge me to eat the doughnut without licking my lips. i always failed.
dad would be happy at the table a paper, a fag, a cup of tea to be followed by a glass of scotch.
i would be happy with doughnuts, tea and a book.
the simple things are the best things.

No comments: