Search This Blog

Thursday, December 01, 2005

sistine

i work in an office building.
it has a car park. the car park has been the object of much angst among my fellow workers. me i could care less - it's the 25 bus for me.
we have had another of those "you can only park here!" style announcements go around the various offices in the building.
in terms of timing this couldn't have happened at a better time, because it's the time when the lines on the parking spaces get re-painted.
now i don't know much about painting (and frankly i have no desire to learn - although recently someone told me i was a walking treasure trove to tv make over style programmes - they could come and clean my flat, dress me, teach me to cook etc, i am holding out for supernanny to come and spank me...)

get on with it pat, get on with it....

where was i?
oh yeah.
now i don't know much about painting but i reckon this can't be that hard a job. the lines are already there. you just have to paint over them. get one of those walking line things. and job done in a day or so.
nope. not us. we have a painter who obviously has the soul of one of the great masters. for him it is not a car park he is painting, oh no it's nothing mundane like that. our painter is da vinci, caravaggio and michaelangelo all rolled into one. i believe we are currently on day 4 of the painting of the straight lines.
each line is done with a fine brush, i am sure he is not using emulsion but in fact is using the finest oil paint he can find. on examining the lines we would all exclaim "perfect". better than giotto and his circle - this man does a straight line better than anyone has ever done.

i have seen perfection and it is a straight white line in a car park.

1 comment:

Hobbit's Journal said...

So I said to this brick wall, anymore cracks like that and I'll plaster you...