Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

nyc 2: cold

it seems that new Yorkers are as obsessed with the weather as Londoners are.
When I arrived the snow was still on the ground, it had gone from that lovely white spectacular of fresh snow and was now a mix of snow, ice and slush. There was a chill in the air, but not what you would call freezing.
Though to look at the new Yorkers who are striding around the place are dressed for artic conditions. Layers upon layers. Oh ok there were a few times when the wind came up and felt like it was ready to freeze my nose, it was a fleeting moment.
Mostly it is just nippy.
The other day as I was walking along broome (and getting lost, again…) I was standing at a corner when I hear a couple, not quite whispering, “he’s not cold!” I wasn’t sure if they were words spoken in awe or uttered in fear of the madman.
As they seemed interested I thought they deserved an explanation” “I’m not cold I am English.”
It got a laugh.

2 comments:

Hobbit's Journal said...

Enjoying reading the blogs! Hope you are having fun again, I'm off the net again for a bit and actually browsing your blog in erm.... Wales, a blog coming on Wales for sure.

ems said...

I hope you at least had your "winter coat" on and aren't walking around in a t-shirt.