Search This Blog

Friday, March 17, 2006

glasses

there are many things i find beautiful, some are obvious and some are not so obvious. there are many things i have phobias about, some are obvious and some are not so obvious. eyes fight into both categories.
in the long list of things that are wrong with me my eyes contribute a couple of items. i have a cast in one, or to put it bluntly i am boss-eyed. so i got called clarence (the older readers will get the reference) or cyclops. often i was asked if i saw double - as i grew older the stock answer became "shall i punch you in the mouth to see if i hit the right one?" no one ever took me up on the offer.
then there is the colour blindness. and of course the short sightedness.
i have been wearing glasses most of my life. i have no problems with wearing glasses.
i have a problem with contact lenses (here is one of my phobias) i get a little bit scared when it comes to things being near my eyeball. i get very very squeamish at horror movies when something nasty happens to people's eyeballs (i had a friend who was a big fan of italian horror movies - should couldn't stand spiders, i can't stand eyeballs - mostly it meant we just hid behind our cushions at different times).
so it is always going to be glasses for me.
while in new york i managed to chip the lens of my last pair of glasses, the pair before that i had shattered into several pieces.
it was a sign that i needed to go and get a new pair of glasses.
the opticians was fun. for some bizarre reason when I have an eye test I think I might be getting the answers wrong, so I am always in panic mode. This added to the fact that there is a small chance that they will jab your eye while they are peering at you with the lighty thing always has me on edge.
Tests done, prescription in hand I make my way to specsavers (I felt a little guilty about not spending my glasses money at d&a because the optician was friendly, good and cute).
Now it shouldn’t be hard to buy glasses. It really shouldn’t. but I am confronted with 100s of styles that are all only slightly different from each other. I sort of knew what I wanted, it didn’t take me long to realise that it wasn’t there. After much dithering I found some that I liked.
Well I might have liked them but mr optician was very concerned that my choices were not suitable. Something about my ears being the wrong size or in the wrong place, oh and then the cast in the eye came into play – did it make a difference of 2mm or 4mm – like I knew. They did this, they did that. They all seemed very concerned and very helpful. A test here, a look there. A pause, a thought and a knowing nod.
Nearly an hour after I went into specsavers I had 2 frames chosen – I no longer know what they are. I will (hopefully) pleasantly shocked when I go to collect them Saturday.

Nothing is simple when I am involved.

No comments: